Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life in Tstan

Onions and nuts for the winter

A traditional Tajik table setting

Host mom making osh. There is no electricity.
The osh is almost ready!
The oven for making naan and for burning trash
Chai and naan with the granny while mom cuts carrots
My friend who wants to become an English translator and finish university before she marries
One of the four sisters who is studying to do make-up. Unfortunately, no one uses make-up here, so it has been hard for her to find training. I told her to find a Russian lady to ask for help.
Piles and piles of carrots
The neighbor came over for some tea before all the girls left for the wedding
Big naan. The biggest naan is made for weddings.
My friend's sister dressed in her finest for the wedding. She asked me if I thought she looked pretty.
All of the girls dressed to impress.
In some conservative Muslim cultures, it is common not to smile in pictures. I love this one because my friend is smiling and is really excited for the wedding celebration.
I definitely need to get some new clothes...
All of them are so beautiful
Waiting for the groom to bring his bride
Fetching water from a pipe at a neighbor's house
In Tajikistan, running water is a rare. Women carry jugs of water multiple times a day for the cooking and cleaning.
Everyone going in for the osh.
A cute and very serious little Tajik girl
Drinking some more chai and hanging out. The girls found me a dress to borrow so people wouldn't ask why I was so poorly dressed.
Tajik wedding. The groom brings the bride who is from a neighboring village.
There is some dancing, but it is kept at a minimum.
The groom presents his bride to the village. Her family stands next to her. These are all arranged marriages.
Few people get to see the bride's face
The granny had some dance moves.
I just love the wrinkles on this woman's face. I wonder what her life was like.
I got to go into a backroom and see the bride's face and take a picture.
The groom's family invited me to join them for osh and tea.
It is tradition for the bride's family to sew and bring 17 floor mattresses (see left) to the new home
A little trouble-maker

No comments:

Post a Comment