Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Funny Tajik Moments

Here are some funny Tajik moments I can think of right now before my internet dies:

Seeing an advertisement for CARPETS FROM BELARUS!!!!!! I didn't know Belarus was so fancy?

While filming, my Tajik friend told me that after the men sit down I can go in and "shoot them". Hmm...freudian?

Eating the most disgusting lunch that was all sheep fat. I tried to swallow the pieces of fat as quickly as possible and wash it down with tea. Unfortunately, the older village woman thought I loved fat pieces, and she  started scraping fat pieces from her plate and put them on mine. Plan foiled.

Before going to sleep, the girl I was staying with told me "Good-night and Indian dreams." I guess Tajik girls love Bollywood films. Since these movies are so fantastic and full of love, they wish those dreams on others.

Talking about my husband pretty much every day when men try to get my phone number. Common things I say, "Excuse me? My husband does not allow me to talk to men." or "I do have a phone, but this is my husband's phone, and he does not allow me to use it." "Yes, I'm twenty-two. I know, I know I need to have children soon. My husband and I are planning on having at least three when I return." And it totally works. Every single time.

While in Dushanbe and seeing Maria, the Russian bear that an old Tajik man walks around on the street, another Fulbrighter was worried that I was getting too close to the bear. "Ilana! It's okay! I just need to lose a limb or so, and then I MIGHT get medevac. I heard we get medevac in London--LONDON!!!"

"Hey girl!" (In Russian) and then in English "Come drink strong alcoholic drinks with me." At least he was honest.

The Tajik woman who power walked around the pool in her lingerie and headscarf.

"Hey girls! Where are you from?" "China." "Ohhh....."

No comments:

Post a Comment